• Get your body ready for class by being physical. Do aerobic exercise every day, even if it's just walking. Also do core strengthening exercises. Such as a sustained plank, sitting unsupported against a wall, squats, situps and pushups. Strengthen your hands too! An easy way to do this is fill a water bottle and do hand curls. Squeeze and pinch some playdough repeatedly. But don't overdo it! We will hand out information on strengthening exercises the first day of class.
• As part of our Massage Therapy Program, you will be working on each other for practice. Out of respect for each other, you need to get your feet cleaned up! Make sure your toenails are clipped and cleaned, and give yourself a pedicure by soaking your feet in warm water with epsom salts and using a foot file/pumice stone on the calluses. Also, remove any dirt that may be under the toenails.
• Massage Therapists cannot have fake nails. Long nails are very uncomfortable for clients, and unsanitary. Resign yourself to the fact that you can never have fake nails again. Purchase acetone from the hardware store, pour it in a non-plastic bowl and put your fingertips in it. You can scrape off the nails with a butter knife or another sharp object. Because the use of lotions/oils will immediately cause your nail polish to come off, you must also remove any nail polish you have on your fingernails. Clip your fingernails as short as you can.
DON'T Buy This
600-hr Programs Only
• Your tuition includes a massage table package, and everything you need to start practicing, except sheets. Don't buy lotions, holsters, tables, or any such items. After you've worked with what we provide, you'll have a much better idea about what additional supplies you might like to purchase after graduation.
DO Buy This
• Two Sets of sheets (twin size). We recommend the "Better Homes and Gardens 300 Thread Count Sheet Sets" at Walmart, or the "Ultra Soft Fitted / Flat Sheets 300 Thread Count - Threshold™" from Target. The brands we recommend are 100% cotton. You will not need the pillowcases. Whatever brand you buy, please make sure they are 100% cotton, twin size, NOT flannel (pill easily) and NOT "massage sheets" (don't fit most massage tables). Don't waste your money on special bamboo or organic sheets.
• Make sure that you have a scrub top, enough comfortable capris, leggings, non-logo cotton t-shirts, and tennis shoes. You will be working hard in warm conditions and may want to change clothes or shoes periodically throughout the day.
• Make sure that you have bras that hook in the back and decent non-thong underwear. Instructors demonstrate techniques on students and, again, you will practicing on each other. You don't want to be embarrassed by the state of these items!
Pack a Bag
• Pack a bag for class that has extra clothing and shoes in it. Include a deoderant/antipersperant stick, a toothbrush and toothpaste, breath mints, fingernail clippers, nailfile, hair ties/clips and a hat (in case your hair gets messed up). Add a sweat towel or hand towel. Make sure you have any medications that you need.
• You will be working hard throughout the day. Make sure you bring something to snack on during breaks and a meal to eat during dinner/supper breaks. You will need this to fuel your muscles and your brain!
• We provide a full-size refrigerator/freezer and a microwave. Of course, it goes without saying that you will clean up after yourself!